AotW: Archangel Uriel
Meaning: “Light of God” or “Fire of God”
Other Names: Uri’el; Urael; St. Uriel, the Archangel; Auriel; Oriel
He helps enlighten our minds with Divine inspiration. You know it’s divine when it is (possibly repetitive) positive, loving and helpful. Archangel Uriel purifies our mental and emotional understanding and transmutes lower engergies into enlightened, spiritual understanding. In a way, he shows us the silver lining in every situation. The archangel is also considered an angel of presence. He is one of the seven archangels that stand at the throne of God and one of the four major archangels that serve humanity. Uriel was sent by God to answer Esdras’ questions. He also supervises the fairies and sprites who inhabit the four elementals (earth, air, fire, and water).
Uriel is often shown with an open hand holding a flame. This flame is the flame of Love.
Legend tells us the Uriel stands at the gates of Eden with a fiery sword. It also says that he holds the key to unconditional forgiveness in every area of our lives. He has been placed in charge of Tartarus (a.k.a. Hades). Uriel is also said to be the one who warned Noah of the Great Flood.
O Holy Angel St. Uriel, whose name means “God is my Light”
We pray that you will guide our thoughts and actions with the Light of Christ.
We ask that you guard and protect us against all the attacks of Satan
Who has tempted man since the Garden of Eden.
May you and all the choirs of Angels intercede for us before the Most Holy Trinity
That we may receive mercy and eternal life in heaven, We ask this through Christ our Lord,
- “So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.” ~ Genesis 3:24 (KJV) (Sometimes considered to be the angel holding the flaming sword)
- “In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them;; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.” ~ Isaiah 63:9 (He is sometimes considered an angel of presence)
- “And the angel that was sent unto me, whose name was Uriel, gave me an answer, And said, Thy heart hath gone to far in this world, and thinkest thou to comprehend the way of the most High?” ~ II Esdras 4:1-2 (IV Ezra 4:1-2) (KJV)
- “And unto these things Uriel the archangel gave them answer, and said, Even when the number of seeds is filled in you: for he hath weighed the world in the balance.” ~ II Esdras 4:36 (IV Ezra 4:36)
- “And so I fasted seven days, mourning and weeping, like as Uriel the angel commanded me.” ~ II Esdras 5:20 (IV Ezra 5:20)
- “Where is Uriel the angel, who came unto me at the first? for he hath caused me to fall into many trances, and mine end is turned into corruption, and my prayer to rebuke.” ~ II Esdras 10:28 (IV Ezra 10:28)
- “And soul and spirit shall the great Uriel give them at the commandment of God; for him hath God set over the rising again of the dead at the day of judgement.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/apocalypsepeter-mrjames.html)
- “Uriel (Urael) the angel of God shall bring forth the souls of those sinners (every one according to his transgression: perhaps this clause should end the preceding paragraph: so Grebaut takes it) who perished in the flood, and of all that dwelt in all idols, in every molten image, in every (object of) love, and in pictures, and of those that dwelt on all hills and in stones and by the wayside, whom men called gods: they shall burn them with them (the objects in which they dwelt, or their worshippers?) in everlasting fire; and after that all of them with their dwelling places are destroyed, they shall be punished eternally.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “Ezrael the angel of God shall bring them forth out of this fire and establish a judgement of decision. This then is their judgement. A river of fire shall flow and all judgement (they that are judged) shall be drawn down into the middle of the river. And Uriel shall set them there.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “Now when the immortal angels of the undying God Barakiel, Ramiel, Uriel, Samiel, and Azael, [These names are from Enoch.] knowing all the evil deeds that any hath wrought aforetime -then out of the misty darkness they shall bring all the souls of men to judgement, unto the seat of God the immortal, the great.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “Then shall the great angel Uriel break the monstrous bars framed of unyielding and unbroken adamant, of the brazen gates of Hades, and cast them down straightway, and bring forth to judgement all the sorrowful forms, yea, of the ghosts of the ancient Titans, and of the giants, and all whom the flood overtook. And all whom the wave of the sea hath destroyed in the waters, and all whom beasts and creeping things and fowls have feasted on: all these shall he bring to the judgement seat; and again those whom flesh-devouring fire hath consumed in the flames, them also shall he gather and set before God’s seat.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “And then Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel looked down from heaven and saw much blood being shed upon the earth, and all lawlessness being wrought upon the earth. . . .” ~ Enoch 9:1-2 (http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/ethiopian/enoch/index.html)
- “Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel to the son of Lamech, and said to him: Go to Noah and tell him in my name “Hide thyself!” and reveal to him the end that is approaching: that the whole earth will be destroyed, and a deluge is about to come upon the whole earth, and will destroy all that is on it. And now instruct him that he may escape and his seed may be preserved for all the generations of the world. . . .” ~ Enoch 10:1-4
- “And Uriel said to me: ‘Here shall stand the angels who have connected themselves with women, and their spirits assuming many different forms are defiling mankind and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as gods, (here shall they stand,) till the day of the great judgement in which they shall be judged till they are made an end of. And the women also of the angels who went astray shall become sirens.’ And I, Enoch, alone saw the vision, the ends of all things: and no man shall see as I have seen.” ~ Enoch 19:1-3
- “And these are the names of the holy angels who watch. Uriel, one of the holy angels, who is over the world and over Tartarus. . . .” ~ Enoch 20:1-3
- “I said: ‘For what sin are they bound, and on what account have they been cast in hither?’ Then said Uriel, one of the holy angels, who was with me, and was chief over them, and said: ‘Enoch, why dost thou ask, and why art thou eager for the truth? These are of the number of the stars of heaven, which have transgressed the commandment of the Lord, and are bound here till ten thousand years, the time entailed by their sins, are consummated.’ And from thence I went to another place, which was still more horrible than the former, and I saw a horrible thing: a great fire there which burnt and blazed, and the place was cleft as far as the abyss, being full of great descending columns of fire: neither its extent or magnitude could I see, nor could I conjecture. Then I said: ‘How fearful is the place and how terrible to look upon!’ Then Uriel answered me, one of the holy angels who was with me, and said unto me: ‘Enoch, why hast thou such fear and affright?’ And I answered: ‘Because of this fearful place, and because of the spectacle of the pain.’ And he said unto me: ‘This place is the prison of the angels, and here they will be imprisoned for ever.’” ~ Enoch 21:5-10
- “Then said I: ‘For what object is this blessed land, which is entirely filled with trees, and this accursed valley between?’ Then Uriel, one of the holy angels who was with me, answered and said: ‘This accursed valley is for those who are accursed for ever: Here shall all the accursed be gathered together who utter with their lips against the Lord unseemly words and of His glory speak hard things. Here shall they be gathered together, and here shall be their place of judgement. In the last days there shall be upon them the spectacle of righteous judgement in the presence of the righteous for ever: here shall the merciful bless the Lord of glory, the Eternal King. In the days of judgement over the former, they shall bless Him for the mercy in accordance with which He has assigned them (their lot).’ Then I blessed the Lord of Glory and set forth His glory and lauded Him gloriously.” ~ Enoch 27:1-5
- “. . . And I saw how the stars of heaven come forth, and I counted the portals out of which they proceed, and wrote down all their outlets, of each individual star by itself, according to their number and their names, their courses and their positions, and their times and their months, as Uriel the holy angel who was with me showed me. He showed all things to me and wrote them down for me: also their names he wrote for me, and their laws and their companies.” ~ Enoch 33:2-4
- “The book of the courses of the luminaries of the heaven, the relations of each, according to their classes, their dominion and their seasons, according to their names and places of origin, and according to their months, which Uriel, the holy angel, who was with me, who is their guide, showed me; and he showed me all their laws exactly as they are, and how it is with regard to all the years of the world and unto eternity, till the new creation is accomplished which dureth till eternity. . . .” ~ Enoch 72:1-2
- “. . . And all these Uriel, the holy angel who is the leader of them all,showed to me, and their positions, and I wrote down their positions as he showed them to me, and I wrote down their months as they were, and the appearance of their lights till fifteen days were accomplished. . . .” ~ Enoch 74:2-3
- “. . . For the signs and the times and the years and the days the angel Uriel showed to me, whom the Lord of glory hath set for ever over all the luminaries of the heaven, in the heaven and in the world, that they should rule on the face of the heaven and be seen on the earth, and be leaders for the day and the night, i.e. the sun, moon, and stars, and all the ministering creatures which make their revolution in all the chariots of the heaven. In like manner twelve doors Uriel showed me, open in the circumference of the suns chariot in the heaven, through which the rays of the sun break forth: and from them is warmth diffused over the earth, when they are opened at their appointed seasons.And for the winds and the spirit of the dew when they are opened, standing open in the heavens at the ends. As for the twelve portals in the heaven, at the ends of the earth, out of which go forth the sun, moon, and stars, and all the works of heaven in the east and in the west, There are many windows open to the left and right of them, and one window at its (appointed) season produces warmth, corresponding (as these do) to those doors from which the stars come forth according as He has commanded them, and wherein they set corresponding to their number. And I saw chariots in the heaven, running in the world, above those portals in which revolve the stars that never set. And one is larger than all the rest, and it is that that makes its course through the entire world.” ~ Enoch 75:3-9
- “. . . And Uriel showed me another law: when light is transferred to the moon, and on which side it is transferred to her by the sun.” ~ Enoch 78:10
- “. . . Such is the picture and sketch of every luminary which Uriel the archangel, who is their leader, showed unto me.” ~ Enoch 79:6
- “And in those days the angel Uriel answered and said to me: Behold, I have shown thee everything, Enoch, and I have revealed everything to thee that thou shouldst see this sun and this moon, and the leaders of the stars of the heaven and all those who turn them, their tasks and times and departures.” ~ Enoch 80:1
- “And the account thereof is accurate and the recorded reckoning thereof exact; for the luminaries, and months and festivals, and years and days, has Uriel shown and revealed to me, to whom the Lord of the whole creation of the world hath subjected the host of heaven. . . .” ~ Enoch 82:7-8
- “And God said to Michael and to Gabriel and Uriel: “Spread out the clothes and cover the body of Adam.” And they bore the sweet olive oil and poured it upon him. And the three great angels prepared him for burial.” ~ Life of Adam and Eve 40:2 (http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/vita/english/vita.gre.html#per2)
- “Again the Lord said to the angels Michael and Uriel: ‘Bring me 3 linen shrouds and stretch them over Adam. Bring other shrouds and stretch them over Abel, his son. Then bury Adam and his son.’ And all the virtues of the angels processed before Adam, and thus was the dormition of the dead sanctified. The angels Michael and Uriel buried Adam and Abel in the regions of paradise which Seth and his mother saw, but no one else. Michael and Uriel: ‘Just as you see us doing, likewise bury your dead.’ [III+***Legend of the Wood of the Cross*** ]III” ~ Life of Adam and Eve 48:1-3 (http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/vita/english/vita.lat.html#per2)
- “And Solomon said to him: ‘Tell me, O demon, to what zodiacal sign thou art subject.’ And he answered: ‘To the Water-pourer. And those who are consumed with desire for the noble virgins upon earth . . . . . [there appears to be a lacuna here], these I strangle. But in case there is no disposition to sleep, I am changed into three forms. Whenever men come to be enamoured of women, I metamorphose myself into a comely female; and I take hold of the men in their sleep, and play with them. And after a while I again take to my wings, and hie me to the heavenly regions. I also appear as a lion, and I am commanded by all the demons. I am offspring of the archangel Uriel, the power of God.'” ~ Testament of Solomon 10 (http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/testamen.htm)
- “I Solomon, having heard the name of the archangel, prayed and glorified God, the Lord of heaven and earth. And I sealed the demon and set him to work at stone-cutting, so that he might cut the stones in the Temple, which, lying along the shore, had been brought by the Sea of Arabia. But he, fearful of the iron, continued and said to me: ‘I pray thee, King Solomon, let me go free; and I will bring you all the demons.’ And as he was not willing to be subject to me, I prayed the archangel Uriel to come and succour me; and I forthwith beheld the archangel Uriel coming down to me from the heavens.” ~ Testament of Solomon 11
- “Likewise also the sixth said: ‘I am Error, O King Solomon. And I will make thee to err, as I have before made thee to err, when I caused thee to slay thy own brother. I will lead you into error, so as to pry into graves; and teach them that dig, and I lead errant souls away from
all piety, and many other evil traits are mine. But I have an angel that frustrates me, Uriel.'” ~ Testament of Solomon 40
- “The third said: ‘I am called Arôtosael. I do harm to eyes, and grievously injure them. Only let me hear the words, ‘Uriel, imprison Aratosael’ (sic), at once I retreat . . . . .'” ~ Testament of Solomon 75
Posted on July 23, 2012, in Angel of the Week (AotW), Energy/Lightwork and tagged Angels, Bible, Christianity, Energy, Faith, God, Judaism, Kabbalah, Light, Love, St. Uriel. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.