“Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.” ~ Unknown
Monthly Archives: July 2012
Meaning: “Co-Brother” or “One who wears sandals before the Almighty”
Other Names: Sandolphon; Sandolfon; Elijah, the prophet; Elias
He is one of two archangels who were once humans (the other being Metatron). Elijah, the prophet of Israel, was his identity during his earthly incarnation. Archangel Sandalphon is also associated with music. He can help your words and actions to be gentle, yet powerful. He is the angel of prayer. Part of his message is that all prayers are of equal importance and that there are plenty of angels to help everyone on Earth. Each prayer is heard and answered, even if the answers don’t come in the way we expect. Another thing he does is help you appreciate all of the miracles and victories – of every size – in your life. Sandalphon is the angel of music. He also protects children.
It is said that he is the tallest of all of the angels. He is also described as being fiery in appearance, or made of pure energy. This would make it difficult to look upon him.
It is believed that when Elijah was carried up to heaven in a burning chariot by a whirlwind (while still alive), this was when he became Sandalphon. He is said to make a necklace of all of the prayers and puts it around God’s neck. Another thing he does is help you appreciate all of the miracles and victories – of every size – in your life. Some people maintain that Archangel Sandalphon determines the sex of an embryo.
Blessed Sandalphon, I ask your assistance in opening me up to my Divine Plan. Be with me; intercede on my behalf, so that I may _____________. Help me to open to my own heart and wisdom and to be open to Divine guidance, to live my best life here on Earth and to know and fulfill my mission here gently and with Grace. Knowing and living my highest purpose fully now. Thank you and so it is.
- “And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the Lord God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.” ~ I Kings 17:1 (KJV)
- “And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth. And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days. And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the Lord, which he spake by Elijah. And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him. And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son?” ~ I Kings 17:13-18
- “And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived. And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth. And the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in thy mouth is truth.” ~ I Kings 17:22-24
- “And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the Lord came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, shew thyself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth. And Elijah went to shew himself unto Ahab. And there was a sore famine in Samaria.” ~ I Kings 18:1-2
- “And as Obadiah was in the way, behold, Elijah met him: and he knew him, and fell on his face, and said, Art thou that my lord Elijah? And he answered him, I am: go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here.” ~ I Kings 18:7-8
- “And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy Lord, Behold, Elijah is here.” ~ I Kings 18:11
- “And now thou sayest, Go, tell thy lord, Behold, Elijah is here: and he shall slay me. And Elijah said, As the Lord of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, I will surely shew myself unto him to day. So Obadiah went to meet Ahab, and told him: and Ahab went to meet Elijah. And it came to pass, when Ahab saw Elijah, that Ahab said unto him, Art thou he that troubleth Israel? ” ~ I Kings 18:14-17
- “But the angel of the Lord said to Elijah the Tishbite, Arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria, and say unto them, Is it not because there is not a God in Israel, that ye go to enquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron? Now therefore thus saith the Lord, Thou shalt not come down from that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die. And Elijah departed.” ~ II Kings 1:3-4
- “And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty. Again also he sent unto him another captain of fifty with his fifty. And he answered and said unto him, O man of God, thus hath the king said, Come down quickly. And Elijah answered and said unto them, If I be a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty. And he sent again a captain of the third fifty with his fifty. And the third captain of fifty went up, and came and fell on his knees before Elijah, and besought him, and said unto him, O man of God, I pray thee, let my life, and the life of these fifty thy servants, be precious in thy sight. Behold, there came fire down from heaven, and burnt up the two captains of the former fifties with their fifties: therefore let my life now be precious in thy sight. And the angel of the Lord said unto Elijah, Go down with him: be not afraid of him. And he arose, and went down with him unto the king. And he said unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Forasmuch as thou hast sent messengers to enquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron, is it not because there is no God in Israel to enquire of his word? therefore thou shalt not come down off that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die. So he died according to the word of the Lord which Elijah had spoken. And Jehoram reigned in his stead in the second year of Jehoram the son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah; because he had no son.” ~ II Kings 1:10-17
- “And it came to pass, when the Lord would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal. And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the Lord hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel. And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Lord will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace. And Elijah said unto him, Elisha, tarry here, I pray thee; for the Lord hath sent me to Jericho. And he said, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they came to Jericho. And the sons of the prophets that were at Jericho came to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Lord will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he answered, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace. And Elijah said unto him, Tarry, I pray thee, here; for the Lord hath sent me to Jordan. And he said, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And they two went on. And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went, and stood to view afar off: and they two stood by Jordan. And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground. And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.” ~ II Kings 2:1-9
- “And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.” ~ II Kings 2:11-12
- “And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus saith the Lord God of David thy father, Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah,” ~ II Chronicles 21:12
- “Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.” ~ Malachi 4:5-6
- “And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.” ~ Matthew 11:14
- “And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias, and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.” ~ Matthew 16:14
- “And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only. And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead. And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come? And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.” ~ Matthew 17:1-13
- “And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power. And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them. And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them. And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus. And Peter answered and said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. For he wist not what to say; for they were sore afraid. And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him. And suddenly, when they had looked round about, they saw no man any more, save Jesus only with themselves. And as they came down from the mountain, he charged them that they should tell no man what things they had seen, till the Son of man were risen from the dead. And they kept that saying with themselves, questioning one with another what the rising from the dead should mean. And they asked him, saying, Why say the scribes that Elias must first come? And he answered and told them, Elias verily cometh first, and restoreth all things; and how it is written of the Son of man, that he must suffer many things, and be set at nought. But I say unto you, That Elias is indeed come, and they have done unto him whatsoever they listed, as it is written of him.” ~ Mark 9:1-13
- “And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.” ~ Luke 1:17
- “And of some, that Elias had appeared; and of others, that one of the old prophets was risen again.” ~ Luke 9:8
- “And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.” ~ John 1:21
- “Also, Zachariah, John, Jesus, and Elias; all were righteous.” ~ Sura 6:85 (http://www.quran-islam.org/main_topics/quran_in_english_(P1223).html)
- “Elias was one of the messengers. He said to his people, ‘Would you not work righteousness? Do you worship a statue, instead of the Supreme Creator? GOD; your Lord, and the Lord of your forefathers!’ They disbelieved him. Consequently, they had to be called to account. Only GOD’s servants who are absolutely devoted to Him alone (are saved). We preserved his history for subsequent generations. Peace be upon Elias, and all those like Elias.” ~ Sura 37:123-130
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
~ Siddhãrtha Gautama (Buddha)
In Buddhism, the Noble Eightfold Path is the way to the end of suffering. “It is a practical guideline to ethical and mental development with the goal of freeing the individual from attachments and delusions; and it finally leads to understanding the truth about all things.” (Knierim). These are not to be seen as steps, but as individual principles that have relationships with each other. What are these principles? They are: right understanding, right thinking, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration. They are broken into three separate groups: Wisdom (Panna) for the first two; Ethical Conduct (Sila) for the next three; and Mental Development (Samadhi) for the last three.
- Right Understanding (samma ditthi): This means to see things as they really are. It also means to recognize and understand the Four Noble Truths (Robinson). One must understand: impermanent and imperfect nature of worldly objects and ideas; and the law of karma. “Since our view of the world forms our thoughts and our actions, right view yields right thoughts and right actions.” (Knierim).
- Right Thinking/Intention (samma sankappa): This refers to the cognitive aspect of wisdom. It can be described as “following the right path in life” (Robinson). It can be described as a commitment to ethical and mental self-improvement. “Buddha distinguishes three types of right intentions: (1) the intention of renunciation, which means resistance to the pull of desire, (2) the intention of good will, meaning resistance to feelings of anger and aversion, and (3) the intention of harmlessness, meaning not to think or act cruelly, violently, or aggressively, and to develop compassion.” (Knierim).
- Right Speech (samma vaca): Do not lie. Do not criticize. Do not condemn. Do not gossip. Do not use harsh language. To put it in a more positive text: “this means to tell the truth, to speak friendly, warm, and gently and to talk only when necessary.” (Knierim).
- Right Conduct (samma kammanta): This involves the body as a natural means of expression, as it refers to the deeds that involve bodily actions. “Unwholesome actions lead to unsound states of mind, while wholesome actions lead to sound states of mind.” (Knierim). This also says that we must follow the Five Precepts (Robinson).
- Right Livelihood (samma ajiva): One should make their living in a legal and peaceful way. One should not harm others to gain their wealth.
- Right Effort (samma vayama): Promote good thoughts and conquer evil thoughts. “Without effort, which is in itself an act of will, nothing can be achieved, whereas misguided effort distracts the mind from its task, and confusion will be the consequence.” (Knierim).
- Right Mindfulness (samma sati): “Become aware of your body, mind and feelings.” (Robinson). Right mindfulness is rooted in clear perception and it penetrates impressions without getting carried away.
- Right Concentration (samma samadhi): One must meditate to achieve a higher consciousness, which develops right concentration.
As you can see, the Noble Eightfold Path has so much Truth in it. These are great principles to apply to your life. Hopefully it will help lead us away from the path of suffering, into the path that leads to Nirvana.
- Knierim, Thomas, ed. “The Eightfold Path.” The Eightfold Path. Thebigview.com, 01 Oct. 1999. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html.
- Robinson, B.A. “Buddhism’s Core Beliefs.” Buddhism’s Core Beliefs. Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, 16 Aug. 2009. Web. 27 July 2012. http://www.religioustolerance.org/buddhism1.htm.
“We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass – grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence . . . We need silence to be able to touch souls.” ~ Mother Teresa
Hajj is the Fifth Pillar of Islam. It is a pilgrimage that occurs during the Islamic month of Dhu al-Hijjah to Mecca. It is from the 8th to the 12th day of Dhu al-Hijjah, the 12th and final month of the Islamic calendar. Every able-bodied Muslim who can afford to is obliged to make this trip at least once in their lifetime (Zahid).
When the pilgrim is around 10 km (6.2 mi) from Mecca, he must dress in Ihram clothing (Zahid). Ihram clothing differs between men and women. Men’s clothing consists of two white, un-hemmed sheets and are universal in appearance. Women’s clothing varies considerably. It reflects the regional and religious influences (BBC). The garments are meant to strip away the distinctions of class and culture (Zahid), so that the equality that everyone has in God’s eyes is more noticeable. The exact number of days this has to be worn differs according to the type of pilgrimage.
The main rituals of the Hajj are walking seven times around the Kaaba; touching the Black Stone; travelling seven times between Mt. Safa and Mt. Marwah; and pray for God’s forgiveness of their sins (Zahid). There are other rituals/traditions that go with this, but they won’t be listed here.
After a Muslim makes the trip, they are known as either hajj (male) or hajja (female). This means that they have made the pilgrimage to Mecca. The actual pilgrim is known as a haji (BBC). The haji is honored in the Muslim community.
Islamic teachers say that the Hajj should be an expression of devotion to Allah, not a means to gain social standing. The believer should be self-aware and examine their intentions in performing the pilgrimage. This should lead to constant striving for self-improvement.
- BBC. “Religions – Islam: Hajj: Pilgrimage to Mecca.” BBC News. BBC, 08 Sept. 2009. Web. 25 July 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/practices/hajj_1.shtml.
- Zahid, Ishaq. “Five Pillars of Islam.” Five Pillars of Islam. Islam101, n.d. Web. 25 July 2012. http://islam101.com/dawah/pillars.html.
“Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you.” ~ Marsha Norman
Meaning: “Light of God” or “Fire of God”
Other Names: Uri’el; Urael; St. Uriel, the Archangel; Auriel; Oriel
He helps enlighten our minds with Divine inspiration. You know it’s divine when it is (possibly repetitive) positive, loving and helpful. Archangel Uriel purifies our mental and emotional understanding and transmutes lower engergies into enlightened, spiritual understanding. In a way, he shows us the silver lining in every situation. The archangel is also considered an angel of presence. He is one of the seven archangels that stand at the throne of God and one of the four major archangels that serve humanity. Uriel was sent by God to answer Esdras’ questions. He also supervises the fairies and sprites who inhabit the four elementals (earth, air, fire, and water).
Uriel is often shown with an open hand holding a flame. This flame is the flame of Love.
Legend tells us the Uriel stands at the gates of Eden with a fiery sword. It also says that he holds the key to unconditional forgiveness in every area of our lives. He has been placed in charge of Tartarus (a.k.a. Hades). Uriel is also said to be the one who warned Noah of the Great Flood.
O Holy Angel St. Uriel, whose name means “God is my Light”
We pray that you will guide our thoughts and actions with the Light of Christ.
We ask that you guard and protect us against all the attacks of Satan
Who has tempted man since the Garden of Eden.
May you and all the choirs of Angels intercede for us before the Most Holy Trinity
That we may receive mercy and eternal life in heaven, We ask this through Christ our Lord,
- “So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.” ~ Genesis 3:24 (KJV) (Sometimes considered to be the angel holding the flaming sword)
- “In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them;; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.” ~ Isaiah 63:9 (He is sometimes considered an angel of presence)
- “And the angel that was sent unto me, whose name was Uriel, gave me an answer, And said, Thy heart hath gone to far in this world, and thinkest thou to comprehend the way of the most High?” ~ II Esdras 4:1-2 (IV Ezra 4:1-2) (KJV)
- “And unto these things Uriel the archangel gave them answer, and said, Even when the number of seeds is filled in you: for he hath weighed the world in the balance.” ~ II Esdras 4:36 (IV Ezra 4:36)
- “And so I fasted seven days, mourning and weeping, like as Uriel the angel commanded me.” ~ II Esdras 5:20 (IV Ezra 5:20)
- “Where is Uriel the angel, who came unto me at the first? for he hath caused me to fall into many trances, and mine end is turned into corruption, and my prayer to rebuke.” ~ II Esdras 10:28 (IV Ezra 10:28)
- “And soul and spirit shall the great Uriel give them at the commandment of God; for him hath God set over the rising again of the dead at the day of judgement.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/apocalypsepeter-mrjames.html)
- “Uriel (Urael) the angel of God shall bring forth the souls of those sinners (every one according to his transgression: perhaps this clause should end the preceding paragraph: so Grebaut takes it) who perished in the flood, and of all that dwelt in all idols, in every molten image, in every (object of) love, and in pictures, and of those that dwelt on all hills and in stones and by the wayside, whom men called gods: they shall burn them with them (the objects in which they dwelt, or their worshippers?) in everlasting fire; and after that all of them with their dwelling places are destroyed, they shall be punished eternally.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “Ezrael the angel of God shall bring them forth out of this fire and establish a judgement of decision. This then is their judgement. A river of fire shall flow and all judgement (they that are judged) shall be drawn down into the middle of the river. And Uriel shall set them there.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “Now when the immortal angels of the undying God Barakiel, Ramiel, Uriel, Samiel, and Azael, [These names are from Enoch.] knowing all the evil deeds that any hath wrought aforetime -then out of the misty darkness they shall bring all the souls of men to judgement, unto the seat of God the immortal, the great.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “Then shall the great angel Uriel break the monstrous bars framed of unyielding and unbroken adamant, of the brazen gates of Hades, and cast them down straightway, and bring forth to judgement all the sorrowful forms, yea, of the ghosts of the ancient Titans, and of the giants, and all whom the flood overtook. And all whom the wave of the sea hath destroyed in the waters, and all whom beasts and creeping things and fowls have feasted on: all these shall he bring to the judgement seat; and again those whom flesh-devouring fire hath consumed in the flames, them also shall he gather and set before God’s seat.” ~ Apocalypse of Peter
- “And then Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel looked down from heaven and saw much blood being shed upon the earth, and all lawlessness being wrought upon the earth. . . .” ~ Enoch 9:1-2 (http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/ethiopian/enoch/index.html)
- “Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel to the son of Lamech, and said to him: Go to Noah and tell him in my name “Hide thyself!” and reveal to him the end that is approaching: that the whole earth will be destroyed, and a deluge is about to come upon the whole earth, and will destroy all that is on it. And now instruct him that he may escape and his seed may be preserved for all the generations of the world. . . .” ~ Enoch 10:1-4
- “And Uriel said to me: ‘Here shall stand the angels who have connected themselves with women, and their spirits assuming many different forms are defiling mankind and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as gods, (here shall they stand,) till the day of the great judgement in which they shall be judged till they are made an end of. And the women also of the angels who went astray shall become sirens.’ And I, Enoch, alone saw the vision, the ends of all things: and no man shall see as I have seen.” ~ Enoch 19:1-3
- “And these are the names of the holy angels who watch. Uriel, one of the holy angels, who is over the world and over Tartarus. . . .” ~ Enoch 20:1-3
- “I said: ‘For what sin are they bound, and on what account have they been cast in hither?’ Then said Uriel, one of the holy angels, who was with me, and was chief over them, and said: ‘Enoch, why dost thou ask, and why art thou eager for the truth? These are of the number of the stars of heaven, which have transgressed the commandment of the Lord, and are bound here till ten thousand years, the time entailed by their sins, are consummated.’ And from thence I went to another place, which was still more horrible than the former, and I saw a horrible thing: a great fire there which burnt and blazed, and the place was cleft as far as the abyss, being full of great descending columns of fire: neither its extent or magnitude could I see, nor could I conjecture. Then I said: ‘How fearful is the place and how terrible to look upon!’ Then Uriel answered me, one of the holy angels who was with me, and said unto me: ‘Enoch, why hast thou such fear and affright?’ And I answered: ‘Because of this fearful place, and because of the spectacle of the pain.’ And he said unto me: ‘This place is the prison of the angels, and here they will be imprisoned for ever.’” ~ Enoch 21:5-10
- “Then said I: ‘For what object is this blessed land, which is entirely filled with trees, and this accursed valley between?’ Then Uriel, one of the holy angels who was with me, answered and said: ‘This accursed valley is for those who are accursed for ever: Here shall all the accursed be gathered together who utter with their lips against the Lord unseemly words and of His glory speak hard things. Here shall they be gathered together, and here shall be their place of judgement. In the last days there shall be upon them the spectacle of righteous judgement in the presence of the righteous for ever: here shall the merciful bless the Lord of glory, the Eternal King. In the days of judgement over the former, they shall bless Him for the mercy in accordance with which He has assigned them (their lot).’ Then I blessed the Lord of Glory and set forth His glory and lauded Him gloriously.” ~ Enoch 27:1-5
- “. . . And I saw how the stars of heaven come forth, and I counted the portals out of which they proceed, and wrote down all their outlets, of each individual star by itself, according to their number and their names, their courses and their positions, and their times and their months, as Uriel the holy angel who was with me showed me. He showed all things to me and wrote them down for me: also their names he wrote for me, and their laws and their companies.” ~ Enoch 33:2-4
- “The book of the courses of the luminaries of the heaven, the relations of each, according to their classes, their dominion and their seasons, according to their names and places of origin, and according to their months, which Uriel, the holy angel, who was with me, who is their guide, showed me; and he showed me all their laws exactly as they are, and how it is with regard to all the years of the world and unto eternity, till the new creation is accomplished which dureth till eternity. . . .” ~ Enoch 72:1-2
- “. . . And all these Uriel, the holy angel who is the leader of them all,showed to me, and their positions, and I wrote down their positions as he showed them to me, and I wrote down their months as they were, and the appearance of their lights till fifteen days were accomplished. . . .” ~ Enoch 74:2-3
- “. . . For the signs and the times and the years and the days the angel Uriel showed to me, whom the Lord of glory hath set for ever over all the luminaries of the heaven, in the heaven and in the world, that they should rule on the face of the heaven and be seen on the earth, and be leaders for the day and the night, i.e. the sun, moon, and stars, and all the ministering creatures which make their revolution in all the chariots of the heaven. In like manner twelve doors Uriel showed me, open in the circumference of the suns chariot in the heaven, through which the rays of the sun break forth: and from them is warmth diffused over the earth, when they are opened at their appointed seasons.And for the winds and the spirit of the dew when they are opened, standing open in the heavens at the ends. As for the twelve portals in the heaven, at the ends of the earth, out of which go forth the sun, moon, and stars, and all the works of heaven in the east and in the west, There are many windows open to the left and right of them, and one window at its (appointed) season produces warmth, corresponding (as these do) to those doors from which the stars come forth according as He has commanded them, and wherein they set corresponding to their number. And I saw chariots in the heaven, running in the world, above those portals in which revolve the stars that never set. And one is larger than all the rest, and it is that that makes its course through the entire world.” ~ Enoch 75:3-9
- “. . . And Uriel showed me another law: when light is transferred to the moon, and on which side it is transferred to her by the sun.” ~ Enoch 78:10
- “. . . Such is the picture and sketch of every luminary which Uriel the archangel, who is their leader, showed unto me.” ~ Enoch 79:6
- “And in those days the angel Uriel answered and said to me: Behold, I have shown thee everything, Enoch, and I have revealed everything to thee that thou shouldst see this sun and this moon, and the leaders of the stars of the heaven and all those who turn them, their tasks and times and departures.” ~ Enoch 80:1
- “And the account thereof is accurate and the recorded reckoning thereof exact; for the luminaries, and months and festivals, and years and days, has Uriel shown and revealed to me, to whom the Lord of the whole creation of the world hath subjected the host of heaven. . . .” ~ Enoch 82:7-8
- “And God said to Michael and to Gabriel and Uriel: “Spread out the clothes and cover the body of Adam.” And they bore the sweet olive oil and poured it upon him. And the three great angels prepared him for burial.” ~ Life of Adam and Eve 40:2 (http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/vita/english/vita.gre.html#per2)
- “Again the Lord said to the angels Michael and Uriel: ‘Bring me 3 linen shrouds and stretch them over Adam. Bring other shrouds and stretch them over Abel, his son. Then bury Adam and his son.’ And all the virtues of the angels processed before Adam, and thus was the dormition of the dead sanctified. The angels Michael and Uriel buried Adam and Abel in the regions of paradise which Seth and his mother saw, but no one else. Michael and Uriel: ‘Just as you see us doing, likewise bury your dead.’ [III+***Legend of the Wood of the Cross*** ]III” ~ Life of Adam and Eve 48:1-3 (http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/vita/english/vita.lat.html#per2)
- “And Solomon said to him: ‘Tell me, O demon, to what zodiacal sign thou art subject.’ And he answered: ‘To the Water-pourer. And those who are consumed with desire for the noble virgins upon earth . . . . . [there appears to be a lacuna here], these I strangle. But in case there is no disposition to sleep, I am changed into three forms. Whenever men come to be enamoured of women, I metamorphose myself into a comely female; and I take hold of the men in their sleep, and play with them. And after a while I again take to my wings, and hie me to the heavenly regions. I also appear as a lion, and I am commanded by all the demons. I am offspring of the archangel Uriel, the power of God.'” ~ Testament of Solomon 10 (http://www.esotericarchives.com/solomon/testamen.htm)
- “I Solomon, having heard the name of the archangel, prayed and glorified God, the Lord of heaven and earth. And I sealed the demon and set him to work at stone-cutting, so that he might cut the stones in the Temple, which, lying along the shore, had been brought by the Sea of Arabia. But he, fearful of the iron, continued and said to me: ‘I pray thee, King Solomon, let me go free; and I will bring you all the demons.’ And as he was not willing to be subject to me, I prayed the archangel Uriel to come and succour me; and I forthwith beheld the archangel Uriel coming down to me from the heavens.” ~ Testament of Solomon 11
- “Likewise also the sixth said: ‘I am Error, O King Solomon. And I will make thee to err, as I have before made thee to err, when I caused thee to slay thy own brother. I will lead you into error, so as to pry into graves; and teach them that dig, and I lead errant souls away from
all piety, and many other evil traits are mine. But I have an angel that frustrates me, Uriel.'” ~ Testament of Solomon 40
- “The third said: ‘I am called Arôtosael. I do harm to eyes, and grievously injure them. Only let me hear the words, ‘Uriel, imprison Aratosael’ (sic), at once I retreat . . . . .'” ~ Testament of Solomon 75