AotW: Archangel Gabriel
Meaning: “God is my strength”
Other Names: St. Gabriel, the Archangel; Jibra’il
Archangel Gabriel is the main messenger of God. She gives strenght and courage to people. She also helps them with creativity and communication. A few more things she is helpful with are fertility, pregnancy, and adopting a child. Gabriel is one of only two angels mentioned in the Bible by name. She is best known for telling the mothers of Jesus and John the Baptist that they would be born. She also dictated the Qur’an to Muhammad.
Gabriel is often shown holding a trumpet, as legend says she will on Judgement Day. In Renaissance art, Gabriel is usually shown in the Anunciation. She is also often shown with Archangel Michael.
Legend says that Gabriel selects the souls from heaven to be born into the material world and spends the nine months, as the fetus is developing, informing the new person of what he or she will need to know on Earth. Then she silences the child before birth by pressing her finger onto the child’s lips, thus producing the cleft below a person’s nose. Another legend says that Gabriel will blow the horn announcing the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Blessed Saint Gabriel, Archangel
We beseech you to intercede for us at the throne of divine mercy:
As you announced the mystery of the Incarnation to Mary,
so through your prayers
may we receive strength of faith and courage of spirit,
and thus find favor with God
and redemption through Christ Our Lord.
May we sing the praise of God our Savior
with the angels and saints in heaven
forever and ever.
- “And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man. And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision. So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.” ~ Daniel 8:16 (KJV)
- “And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God for the holy mountain of my God;Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.” ~ Daniel 9:20-22
- “And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense.And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense.And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him.But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years. And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he tarried so long in the temple.And when he came out, he could not speak unto them: and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple: for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless.And it came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were accomplished, he departed to his own house.And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.For with God nothing shall be impossible.And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.” ~ Luke 1:10-38
- “And then Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel looked down from heaven and saw much blood being shed upon the earth, and all lawlessness being wrought upon the earth. And they said one to another: ‘The earth made without inhabitant cries the voice of their cryingst up to the gates of heaven.” ~ Enoch 9:1-2 (http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/ethiopian/enoch/index.html)
- “. . . And to Gabriel said the Lord: Proceed against the bastards and the reprobates, and against the children of fornication: and destroy [the children of fornication and] the children of the Watchers from amongst men [and cause them to go forth]: send them one against the other that they may destroy each other in battle: for length of days shall they not have. And no request that they (i.e. their fathers) make of thee shall be granted unto their fathers on their behalf; for they hope to live an eternal life, and that each one of them will live five hundred years. . . .” ~ Enoch 10:9-11
- “. . . Gabriel, one of the holy angels, who is over Paradise and the serpents and the Cherubim. Remiel, one of the holy angels, whom God set over those who rise.” ~ Enoch 20:7-8
- “. . . And he said to me: This first is Michael, the merciful and long-suffering: and the second, who is set over all the diseases and all the wounds of the children of men, is Raphael: and the third, who is set over all the powers, is Gabriel: and the fourth, who is set over the repentance unto hope of those who inherit eternal life, is named Phanuel. And these are the four angels of the Lord of Spirits and the four voices I heard in those days.” ~ Enoch 40:9-10
- “And Michael, and Gabriel, and Raphael, and Phanuel shall take hold of them on that great day, and cast them on that day into the burning furnace, that the Lord of Spirits may take vengeance on them for their unrighteousness in becoming subject to Satan and leading astray those who dwell on the earth.” ~ Enoch 54:6
- “. . . And Michael, and Raphael, and Gabriel, and Phanuel, And the holy angels who are above the heavens, Go in and out of that house. And they came forth from that house, And Michael and Gabriel, Raphael and Phanuel, And many holy angels without number.” ~ Enoch 71:8-9
- “And these blessings which went forth out of my mouth were well pleasing before that Head of Days. And that Head of Days came with Michael and Gabriel, Raphael and Phanuel, thousands and ten thousands of angels without number.” ~ Enoch 71:12
- “Say, ‘Anyone who opposes Gabriel should know that he has brought down this (Quran) into your heart, in accordance with GOD’s will, confirming previous scriptures, and providing guidance and good news for the believers.’ Anyone who opposes GOD, and His angels, and His messengers, and Gabriel and Michael, should know that GOD opposes the disbelievers.” Sura 2:97-98 (http://www.quran-islam.org/main_topics/quran_in_english_(P1223).html)
- “When our messengers went to Abraham with good news, they said, “Peace.” He said, “Peace,” and soon brought a roasted calf.” ~ Sura 11:69 (Some believe this is a reference)
- “The Honest Spirit (Gabriel) came down with it.” ~ Sura 26:193
- “If the two of you repent to GOD, then your hearts have listened. But if you band together against him, then GOD is his ally, and so is Gabriel and the righteous believers. Also, the angels are his helpers.” ~ Sura 66:4
- “Even as in the ‘Beginning that hath no beginnings’ the term ‘last’ is truly applicable unto Him who is the Educator of the visible and of the invisible, in like manner, are the terms ‘first’ and ‘last’ applicable unto His Manifestations. They are at the same time the Exponents of both the ‘first’ and the ‘last.’ Whilst established upon the seat of the ‘first,’ they occupy the throne of the ‘last.’ Were a discerning eye to be found, it will readily perceive that the exponents of the ‘first’ and the ‘last,’ of the ‘manifest’ and the ‘hidden,’ of the ‘beginning’ and the ‘seal’ are none other than these holy Beings, these Essences of Detachment, these divine Souls. And wert thou to soar in the holy realm of ‘God was alone, there was none else besides Him,’ thou wilt find in that Court all these names utterly non-existent and completely forgotten. Then will thine eyes no longer be obscured by these veils, these terms, and allusions. How ethereal and lofty is this station, unto which even Gabriel, unshepherded, can never attain, and the Bird of Heaven, unassisted, can never reach!” ~ The Kitáb-i-Íqán (page 163-164, verse 174)
- “Yea, in the writings and utterances of the Mirrors reflecting the sun of the Muḥammadan Dispensation mention hath been made of ‘Modification by the exalted beings’ and ‘alteration by the disdainful.’ Such passages, however, refer only to particular cases. Among them is the story of Ibn-i-Suríyá. When the people of Khaybar asked the focal center of the Muḥammadan Revelation concerning the penalty of adultery committed between a married man and a married woman, Muḥammad answered and said: ‘The law of God is death by stoning.’ Whereupon they protested saying: ‘No such law hath been revealed in the Pentateuch.’ Muḥammad answered and said: ‘Whom do ye regard among your rabbis as being a recognized authority and having a sure knowledge of the truth?’ They agreed upon Ibn-i-Suríyá. Thereupon Muḥammad summoned him and said: ‘I adjure thee by God Who clove the sea for you, caused manna to descend upon you, and the cloud to overshadow you, Who delivered you from Pharaoh and his people, and exalted you above all human beings, to tell us what Moses hath decreed concerning adultery between a married man and a married woman.’ He made reply: ‘O Muḥammad! death by stoning is the law.’ Muḥammad observed: ‘Why is it then that this law is annulled and hath ceased to operate among the Jews?’ He answered and said: ‘When Nebuchadnezzar delivered Jerusalem to the flames, and put the Jews to death, only a few survived. The divines of that age, considering the extremely limited number of the Jews, and the multitude of the Amalekites, took counsel together, and came to the conclusion that were they to enforce the law of the Pentateuch, every survivor who hath been delivered from the hand of Nebuchadnezzar would have to be put to death according to the verdict of the Book. Owing to such considerations, they totally repealed the penalty of death.’ Meanwhile Gabriel inspired Muḥammad’s illumined heart with these words: ‘They pervert the text of the Word of God.'” ~ The Kitáb-i-Íqán (page 84-86, verse 92)
- “We shall cite in this connection only one verse of that Book. Shouldst thou observe it with a discerning eye, thou wilt, all the remaining days of thy life, lament and bewail the injury of Muḥammad, that wronged and oppressed Messenger of God. That verse was revealed at a time when Muḥammad languished weary and sorrowful beneath the weight of the opposition of the people, and of their unceasing torture. In the midst of His agony, the Voice of Gabriel, calling from the Sadratu’l-Muntahá, was heard saying: ‘But if their opposition be grievous to Thee—if Thou canst, seek out an opening into the earth or a ladder into heaven.’ The implication of this utterance is that His case had no remedy, that they would not withhold their hands from Him unless He should hide Himself beneath the depths of the earth, or take His flight unto heaven.” ~ The Kitáb-i-Íqán (page 109-110, verse 116)
- “Nay, by ‘trumpet’ is meant the trumpet-call of Muḥammad’s Revelation, which was sounded in the heart of the universe, and by ‘resurrection’ is meant His own rise to proclaim the Cause of God. He bade the erring and wayward arise and speed out of the sepulchres of their bodies, arrayed them with the beauteous robe of faith, and quickened them with the breath of a new and wondrous life. Thus at the hour when Muḥammad, that divine Beauty, purposed to unveil one of the mysteries hidden in the symbolic terms ‘resurrection,’ ‘judgment,’ ‘paradise,’ and ‘hell,’ Gabriel, the Voice of Inspiration, was heard saying: ‘Erelong will they wag their heads at Thee, and say, ‘When shall this be?’ Say: ‘Perchance it is nigh.’’ The implications of this verse alone suffice the peoples of the world, were they to ponder it in their hearts.” ~ The Kitáb-i-Íqán (page 116-117, verse 123)
Posted on June 25, 2012, in Angel of the Week (AotW) and tagged Angels, Archangel Gabriel, Aura, Baha'i, Bible, Christianity, Doreen Virtue, Energy, God, Light, Love, Messaging, Qur'an, Religion, St. Gabriel, Strength. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.